For those who can remember the 1960s through the '80s, you might recall a station wagon-looking Jeep with wood trim. The Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer were really seminal vehicles for the auto industry. It was really the first time a brand combined performance and function with polish and luxury in such an intentional and effective way. While this milestone had been decades in the making by the time it reached the official Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer model lines, there's no denying how these autos changed the game.
Flash forward to today and this boundary-pushing Jeep is back in a big way. The new Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer models embody the spirit of the past, but give it a modern facelift. Those who are in the market for a high-end SUV that mixes comfortability with capability should take a look at what's offered by the new Wagoneer. But this question needs to be answered before making any decisions: Is the Jeep Wagoneer worth it?
What Are Some Desirable Features in the New Wagoneer?
When evaluating the quality of any new car, it's essential to take a look at how its features and specs stack up against the competition. The Jeep family of vehicles is known for going above and beyond on this front-delivering drivers desired extras that make the vehicle ownership experience that much better. Here are some of the most noteworthy features of the new Jeep Wagoneer:
- Wagoneer Client Services - Few car brands put as much care into customer satisfaction as Jeep. Wagoneer Client Services is a perfect example of how Jeep owners get the best attention and care possible when they purchase a vehicle. The Wagoneer Client Services offering includes 24/7customer care and roadside assistance, included tire rotations and oil changes, as well as trip interruption coverage. Furthermore, your new Jeep Wagoneer will be delivered to you home with a full tank of gas. All of this can be easily accessed through the Wagoneer app.
- Three 4×4 Systems - Jeep is renowned for its off-road capabilities. The new Wagoneer stays true to this fashion with its three distinct 4×4 systems: Quadra-Trac I for all-weather driving, Quadra-Trac II for tricky terrains, and Quadra-Drive II for those who want to tackle anything the path throws their way. Being able to choose your ideal 4×4 build will get you the Jeep Wagoneer that perfectly meets your needs.
- Incredible Towing Capacity - Towing is always a touchy subject for SUVs. While most want their SUV to be able to pull some serious weight, this isn't always the case. Lots of vehicles want to have that all-around utility, but few deliver. With a best-in-class max towing capacity of up to 10,000 pounds, the Jeep Wagoneer absolutely doesn't suffer from this. For reference, that's about two-and-a-half times the weight of a normal sedan, or around the weight of 10 grand pianos. That's some serious towing capacity for an SUV.
- Tri-Pane Panoramic Sunroof - Standard on the Grand Wagoneer, the three-tiered sunroof takes immersion in the outdoors to a whole new level. It doesn't matter where you're sitting in the vehicle. With three sunroofs, you're able to smell the flora and feel the wind blowing in your hair.
- Dynamic Seating and Cargo Space - Beyond performance, space and seating configuration are critical components of an SUV. With three rows of seating, as well as the most overall passenger volume and cargo volume behind the third row in its class, the Jeep Wagoneer passes the spaciousness test with flying colors. Additionally, you can easily fold seats up and down with the power folding third-row bench seat, creating even more space.
For those seeking a vehicle that can really do it all, the Jeep Wagoneer should find its way onto your short list. There are few autos on the market today that have such a diverse set of features. But this isn't the only thing that needs to factor into your decision.
Most people can find products that make them happy, but affordability and long-term sensibility are still essential considerations. Essentially, is the Jeep Wagoneer worth it?
Is the Jeep Wagoneer Worth It?
While you might like a lot of what you've heard about the Jeep Wagoneer, you need to do some extra digging to determine if it's really the right vehicle choice for you. To know if the Jeep Wagoneer is worth it, you need to compare its capabilities and price to other vehicles in its class.
What's interesting about the Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer is that their competition varies depending on what you, the driver and car buyer, actually want to get out of the vehicle. When it comes to things like towing and off-road capabilities, there's simply nothing out there that comes close to the Jeep Wagoneer. Even with special towing packages, the Ford Expedition and Cadillac Escalade fall well short of the Wagoneer's massive 10,000-pound max towing level.
In terms of off-roading, Land Rover is the only brand that has premium finishes that can even attempt to keep up with the Wagoneer. At the same time, the starting price of a Land Rover is close to the maximum price you'll pay for a Grand Wagoneer. There's simply no comparison when it comes to cost-based pound-per-pound performance. And even beyond that, Jeeps are known for being far more reliable than Land Rovers, which is exactly what you need to have when venturing off the pavement.
While Jeep might not have the same luxury status as Mercedes, it's not difficult to see how the Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer are in competition with Benz's SUV offerings. And not being known for dainty luxury is an advantage for the Wagoneer. While Mercedes vehicles might struggle to provide large families with the space they need, there will be no issues with this in the uber-open Wagoneer.
At the end of the day, it's up to you to decide if the Jeep Wagoneer is the right fit for you and your passengers. Like with all Jeep vehicles, the Wagoneer sort of resides in a class of its own-taking on large performance SUVs, luxury SUVs, and more practical large SUVs in one swipe. If you're someone who likes to go against the trend, the Wagoneer might be the perfect choice.